Bordered circular earthenware plate, back with “Pannkoekje” cavity of high fire decoration. Blue camaïeu-painted scene representing travelers resting in undergrowth.
Marked R on back
DE ROOS ("de la Rose") workshop, Early 18th Century
Diameter: 25 cm (9-3/4 in.)
Very minor enamel crazing. Small chips on borders.
For a similar plate please consult Sèvres Museum, repository of Cluny Museum, CL 7481
This type of Delft decoration is called “sponge decoration” because the painter employs two different manners to realize wares. The figures in the center, without a doubt adapted from engraved prints, were drawn with fine point with certain precision, contrasting with the landscapes painted freely with a sponge. The same method was used by Delft for faint color application. A very similar production was realized a few years later in Bristol, England (Ray, 1968, engrave plate 35).
De Roos manufacturing was founded before 1666 and closed in January 1858. At the end of the 18th century, blue camaïeu was popular under the management of Arent Cosijn, Nicolaesz Janson van Straten and Dammas Hofdijk. The manufacturer specialized in religious themes inspired by the Old and New Testament. The initial R was then chosen as the mark’s logo. In 1712, the factory was sold to the Van Dijk family. From 1727-1775, the mark changed and opted for the name ROOS in cursive letters.
- Henry-Pierre. FOUREST. La Faïence de Delft. Office du Livre, Fribourg, 1980, page 79
- Christine Lahaussois, Faïence de Delft, Sèvres, National Museum of Ceramics, RMN, 1998
- Edmond du Sommerard, Cluny Museum catalogue, 1881, n° 3865
- Item(s) quantity: 1
- Expertissim Reference: 2013090930